I read a lot. I have a book problem actually. Ever since my first chapter books, I struggle to STOP reading a book until I've read the last page. In the last year (or so) I have had a flexible schedule -- which compounds the problem. I typically finish a novel within 24 hours once begun.
There are weeks where my mood barometer points straight to 'curl up with a novel and eat candy' all week. I can go through several novels in a week. Thankfully that's not every week or I'd get nothing done. If I had some self control I would just read when I was feeding Dean. I can't really do much else while I'm occupied that way for a few hours every day. If, however, I start a book while feeding Dean, I'll find myself reading through his nap, too. Dean's naps are when I try to do useful things like clean, exercise, shower, make dinner... all of these get put aside if there is an unfinished novel wasting away on my coffee table.
Things aren't likely to get better since I'm not willing to give up books. I don't know where to begin growing the kind of self control necessary to put down a good book mid-climax for cleaning. My great grandparents would be ashamed.
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Hello, my name is Jenny and I'm addicted to books.
Posted by Jenny Kendall at 12:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I feel your pain, Jenny. Something I try to do is only allow myself to read one chapter and then do something productive before I can read another chapter. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Good luck!
Hmmm, maybe you could try only starting books on days that you don't have to get anything done? I've had this problem before but only like twice... and checking out to read for 2 days in the last 2 months isn't has detrimental. So maybe you should limit how many books you can check out from the library at once? Hope those ideas are helpful, but in my opinion you are doing a great job!
I'm afraid that you get that gene from me. Sorry! I love to read so much that I only start reading when my work is all done for the day. I had the same problem when I was feeding babies. Maybe you should go for the books on tape so you can do things and listen?
Post a Comment