I read a lot and every once in a while I come across something exceptional. Last night I read a book called. 'The Invention of Hugo Cabret" by Brian Selznick. (check it out) It is a children's historical novel that is partially told using pictures. Real pictures, not cartoons. It's a 500 page book that is on a very elementary level. I was absolutely inspired in several ways. It has hundreds of beautiful drawings. Good art is an inspiration in itself. It aroused a mechanical curiosity in me about automations that I haven't felt since college. I also had to learn more about the historical figure George Melies -- one of the first film makers. The protagonist is a boy who rescues an old man and the old man saves the boy -- very inspiring in a personal way. There's also good morals taught about friendship, family, and creativity. I loved it so much, I think I'll have to buy it and read it with each of my children.
It has a fictional automaton based on this real automaton. Prepare to be amazed! This was built about 1800.
I stole that video from Maillardet's Automaton
There's more information there, if you want to know more about it.
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Unique book
Posted by Jenny Kendall at 5:15 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wow that sounds interesting. 500 pages written for children? I'll have to try it!
Okay I'm reading it and I am amazed. A very cool book!
Post a Comment