Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Clear Lake Tri


James and I did our first triathlon together. It's a huge bother, so we think we'll only do it once a year. It was super fun. I was pretty nervous since I'd only been swimming once a month-ish, biking not-at-all, and running a couple miles a week. Maybe not the best way to train, but I had been doing Crossfit. Which carried me through just fine. The worst part was trying to swim in the right direction and sitting on that horrid bike seat. James had been training really well swimming and running, but biking messes with his knee, so he doesn't do that regularly. We figured we'd be pretty close. James very much wanted to beat me. He did! (by 2 min) too bad they made me start with the girls and him with the boys or we could have really raced.

Jenny 1:23:57  (14/34 in my age group) (227/488 over all)
James 1:22:02  (19/35 in his age group) (197/488 over all)

They gave us our time and rank for each of the divisions including transitions. I think it is hilarious that I rank 7, 18, and 5 on the swim, bike, run, but 266 and 371 on the transitions. Maybe I really ought to invest in a tri suit. James has one and his transitions were only a little better, so maybe there's more to it.

I also had one mishap. my bike had the special axle on the back wheel that you use for our trainer. it got bumped a bit in transit and loosened up enough that the wheel fell off. Yep. I usually know how to fix that, but in the middle of a race I was at a loss. thankfully I was just trying to mount my bike and there was a kind man who saw all of this happen. He put the wheel back on for me. Whew. That will be an easy way to cut my time down for next year.

Just for the record, I did the Hill Air Force Base Triathlon while I was in UT a couple weeks ago. I really enjoyed it, until the middle of the run when my foot started hurting. I just stopped and walked until Dad caught up, then I finished with him. It was lame (haha, get it?), but I didn't want to injure myself by pushing it. It was fine the next day, so maybe I did the right thing.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Congrats on the great race. Keeping the wheel on the bike will probably do wonders for your time next year.

Loved your visit.

mommaquincy said...

You guys are the fitness King and Queen of the family! Nice work! So just how badly did James want to beat you? Did you see him messing with the wheel of your bike?

StephenEmily Stacey said...

Go Jenny! That is awesome. I still have yet to attempt a tri. I think I will sometime. It's good to see your update.