Wednesday, January 30, 2013

a (very late) Christmas letter


This is how things were as of the turn of the year. We have some new developments that I will post about soon. 

Be Awesome.
James and I have designated “Be Awesome” as our family motto. It suits us.
James is doing an excellent job at ExxonMobil. Exxon loves him and (most of the time) he likes Exxon. He has three gym memberships. One in Baytown for lunch swims, one at LA fitness for weekends, and one at H-town Crossfit. He has kept off all the weight he lost last year and looks pretty good, if you ask me. James is den leader for the Cub Scouts and he very much enjoys it. He also manages to substitute in Primary most weeks. James is a very sweet father. He’s built many “tall, tall” towers with Dean and he patiently feeds Jane, even when she methodically removes unwanted food from her tray to the floor. James is my sweetheart and I’m proud of him.
I am so glad to not be pregnant this year that I’ve taken up a new obsession with exercise. Crossfit. Heard of it? I totally love it. At church they called me into the Relief Society. I’m the secretary. I like getting to know everybody. I like being involved. I was reading novels like an addict for most of the year. Lately I’ve cut back (thank heaven), but I love to read. As a housewife, I’m a bit of a failure. It seems like it is impossible to be caught up on cleaning and laundry. I hardly cook. On the bright side, the kids could care less and James’ standards for cleanliness are decidedly below my own. Being a Mom is the best. I always wish that I did more for them, but I love my babies. The best part is that they love me too.
Dean (3) is absolutely delightful to watch. He is extremely creative when pulling together objects to create some invention. For weeks he carried around a string that I had tied a loop in the end. I showed him how to make a little slip knot with it and he experimented on everything. He speaks pretty well now, and imitates me pretty exactly by fiercely telling Jane “no” and other things I might say when disciplining him. Not very flattering, but it is pretty amusing.
Jane (1.5) gives the sweetest hugs. Really, it makes up for her annoying shrieking. Jane is pretty coordinated. She was walking very steadily before she turned one. She loves the playground, but has no fear whatsoever. She puts her face right in the splash pad geysers and walks unchecked onto slides. This is in striking contrast to cautious Dean. It’s funny to watch.
We are all very healthy and happy.  I absolutely know that this is due to God’s blessings. We are grateful.

1 comments:

mommaquincy said...

that is a great family motto! You are right about everything, but I think you are an awesome homemaker. I agree, James and you are very fit and are looking great!