Wednesday, October 21, 2009

a little whine

I try not to be a complainer. (James will laugh when he reads that. I don't think that spouses count. I have to tell someone my little aches and pains.) Whenever I feel the need to voice my self-pity, I remind myself of all the people out there who have it so much worse than me. This whine is not out of a "woe is me" attitude. It's more like "woe is us" because sometimes pregnancy is so uncomfortable. That said, let the whining begin:

Why is it that sleeping in the last couple months of pregnancy is a joke? Everyone talks about how little sleep you get with a newborn, but seems like I'm up every couple hours as it is. I used to wake up because of acid reflux, but thanks to modern medicine, namely Prolisec, that area has improved immensely for the last week. The new problem? Braxton Hicks contractions. I have them constantly. Not really painful, but I feel like I've been doing a lunge every five minutes for the last week. My ribs are sore, my uterus is sore, and I HATE that it wakes me up at night. Last night I kept having these super contractions. The tummy balls up and gets hard and STAYS that way for minutes. Poor little Jimmy just keeps getting squeezed. I'm not really concerned about the contractions. I haven't been dilating and I've been having a lot of them for weeks, but it's annoying to miss sleep over it. Okay, whine completed.

Of course none of the little annoyances of pregnancy hold a candle to how exciting it is to be pregnant. It really is just an everyday miracle and I'm super grateful that things have gone so well.

5 comments:

Ambs said...

would you like some cheese with your whine?? ;)

Chapples said...

I think every woman has a right to complain a little during a pregnancy! I didn't complain a lot at first because I didn't want to be a whinny baby, and that landed me in the hospital because by the time I did complain the doctors thought I was going to die. Obviously mine was a huge issue, but I learned from this that you should always voice your concerns and whines in case it is more than you think it is!

Erika Ellis said...

It gets kind of crowded, doesn't it! Hang in there, we love hearing how things are going

mommaquincy said...

I hope this isn't an indicator of how little sleep you'll get after Jimmy is born! I think sleep is one of the most important things for being healthy and happy. I wish a a good night of it tonight!

Jessica said...

Get it out Jen! Not the baby (yet) but your whining. Pregnancy is hard, especially when you miss sleep. Can you nap during the day instead? I find I have less contractions when I drink a lot and use lots of pillows so nothing gets torqued in bed. Hang in there!