For many of you, doing one pullup may seem insignificant. Josh Quincy, for instance, can do about 50 without any trouble (from my family reunion recollection). At the family reunition, I completed 1/3 of a pullup. I also looked like my head was about to pop off. Very red.
Since that point, I got on a new plan. Body for life? No. I call it "James's Don't Die Before 35 Plan" Not nearly as catchy, but it conveys the goal. It's also been called the "Get Ripped Program."
Background: Every so often I mention to Jenny that I think I might need a sports car one day. Typically these moments come when a sports car is passing us, but not always. I also don't actually use the word "need." One of these days Jenny said I could have a sports car if I "got ripped." I was mentioning this to one of my good friends at work while eating a chocolate chip cookie. The cookie was excellent. The trend of the conversation was:
"Mark, I'm just getting fatter every day."
"So, we are going to start working out next week?"
We started lifting weights 4 days a week beginning in June (18 weeks ago). I must say we are having success. Two weeks ago I did one pullup. Yes, one. I'm very proud - so proud that I work it into conversation as much as possible.
"So, it's nice weather we're having, ehh James?"
"I agree, perfect weather for pullups. Have I mentioned that I did a pullup last week?"
I believe this was my first pullup in seven years. The weight trend is also looking good. My weights are plotted against the left axis, Jenny is against the right (Jimmy's growing faster than I'm losing).
When I mention my plan to most guys they ask two questions.
- What is the definition of "ripped?" (It seems getting a clear definition is key - many recommend getting a signed contract of some kind from Jenny)
- What car are you going to get?
My answers:- Whenever Jenny says so
- I like Corvettes. I may just have a carte blanch to buy toys though - we'll see when I've got an answer to #1.

4 comments:
Your post made me laugh. But that is excellent that you have been working on it! I love the graph! Just think, when your little boy is older you two can go together to the gym to work out!
Nice Work James! And Jenny nice work gaining weight! I would say that the definition of ripped is "able to do a pull-up". I would definitely feel ripped if I could do one!
James, you are awesome!
and for the record, Josh Quincy CAN'T do like 50 these days.... :)
I am rolling here. Are you sure you shouldn't be a writer? You really crack me up.
But seriuosly, good work! 18 weeks is a long time, sounds like you have created some great habits. And I'm sure you'll be ripped and oiling those muscles next summer!
Post a Comment