Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Practice makes Perfect?!

So James and I had a little hospital adventure last night. I had a LOT of contractions yesterday. I didn't think much of it because I had been pretty active. I figured they'd stop when I laid down. They didn't. So I was having some very regular, painless contractions and we decided to call the night nurse. She had me time them for an hour while I laid on my left side and drank water. After the hour I was still having too many (I had 11 in an hour), so we went to the hospital. We no longer need to get a tour of the labor and delivery floor because now I know exactly what to expect. None of this was particularly stressful for me because I was pretty sure I was NOT in labor, we were just doing as we're told. They checked my cervix-- yep, not in labor. They also did a lab that can say with 98% confidence I won't go into labor in the next two weeks, but they didn't want to send me home until the contractions stopped. I got hooked up with an IV for the "hydrate and sedate" treatment. 4hrs later they sent us home and the contractions had stopped.

Overall I think it was good preparation for the real thing. I know just what to expect at the hospital (in the beginning anyway). My uterus got a good work out. It's a little bit sore-- kinda like sore muscles. I'm going to be more careful for the next month not to have regular contractions like that, but hopefully I can start real labor so easily when it's actually time :)

4 comments:

mommaquincy said...

Sounds like more excitement than you want in the middle of the night! Mostly my labor has always started in the middle of the night. Hopefully next time will not be for at least another month!

Jessica said...

Wow, 4 hours is a long time to stay! Sounds like uterus is getting ready for real deal. I get tons of braxton hicks too. In my experience the non-painful ones aren't labor. It's so hard to know when to go to the hospital. I think erroring on the side of caution is wise with our family history. :)

Nicole said...

Oh my goodness, Jenny! I guess it's my turn to say be careful and don't overdo it. Keep little Jimmy there at least another month!

Chapples said...

After having Makenzie 3 months early I know full well why it is important to keep the baby inside growing as long as you can! Take it easy!! You are going to be such a great mom!