Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Hurricane Ike came right over the top of us beginning of Sept. We know this not only because of the path map on the internet, but because the winds changed direction. We can see a tree from our front window. It's about 50 feet tall. For the first few hours the tree was bending to the right, the last few hours to the left. I had no idea that trees were so flexible! I think being in a hurricane is a lot like getting washed inside a dishwasher. The rain (rain is too weak of a word) was horizontal. It did, actually, give my car a decent wash. We were too foolish to board up or even tape our windows. Sometimes our windows would just start creaking and make horrid sounds. Luckily they didn't break.
James and I went on a hike the day after the storm. Quincys, remember that park where we ate pizza? The first picture is James with a tree that got uprooted in that park. It is actually crashed into the tennis courts.







Next, is the flooded roads and freeways. It's hard to tell what's going on, but one of our major freeways is submerged in a lake. Its at an interchange so the higher levels are still out of the water. You can even see one ramp coming out of the water right above my head.





The bayou in front of our apartment complex turned into a river. It rose like 20 or 30 feet and flooded the road. There's me in the road posing with an unfortunate car right in front of the complex.

There was a lot of damage. Trees down all over the place. Some buildings down. Some sky scrapers had serious damage because windows broke.

The good news is that James got a free week off of work!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, you told me these things but it is different when you see pictures. Takes my breath away, so glad you guys weren't hurt.

mommaquincy said...

The pictures are very impressive! I hope that the next excitement in the Kendall's lives isn't as dangerous!

Jonathan? said...

Crazy/AWESOME! Soooooo, i'm really tired but I hope you keep posting and how in the world do you and Jessica get this unique designs I want to make one >.< oh well luv you siss

Joni's Crazy Life's Adventures said...

hi sissy holly moses those are some crazy pics i never knew james was that strong...jk love you!and i'm glad to see you got my new e-mail!

Meg & Josh said...

Wow, I can't believe the damage! I am so glad you guys were safe.

Cute blog, Jenny! Hope all is going well.