Friday, November 14, 2008

Engineer or Teacher


I'll openly admit that I looked down my nose at all of the elementary education majors at BYU. I even proudly announced myself as an engineer in my Houston singles ward where about 90% of the relief society were teachers. Oh, how fate plays tricks on us. Turns out I don't like engineering, and after some careful reflection and practical future planning, I think I'm going to become a high school math teacher.
Yesterday I had my last interview as an engineer. It really sealed the deal.
Because I wasn't sure I wanted the job, I wasn't very nervous. That naturally made them like me and the interview went very well. The job was good the office was great. But I know that in about 9 months I'd be ready to move on. "Boring!" I'd say. In teaching I will never get bored because the challenges are endless. I'll have about 30 new challenges in 7 classes every year! More importantly, I'll be able to contribute. I can spend my efforts in a worthy cause instead of the mundane tendencies of most engineering jobs. Who'd have thunk? not me.
Wish me luck on my math competency test which I have to take to get a job and I am taking on Tues. everyone says it is hard, but people generally think math is hard. I am not intimidated. I'm an engineer after all. (imagine that last sentence in the sarcastic tone it deserves)

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Ha ha, the irony is very funny. I don't know if you remember but I started out majoring in elementary ed. I changed because I decided accounting would be easier, it's funny what motivates us... you wanted the more difficult prestigious major while I did what I thought would take the least amount of effort.
Does James feel tricked? Didn't he always want to marry an engineer?

mommaquincy said...

I think we all become teachers eventually. Definitely not a math teacher in my case. I'm sure that there's some engineer in all of us, too, although its much easier to find in your Dad than it is in me. Go for it! It'll be funny if all of your math students become engineers!

mommaquincy said...

Glad you survived the long test!

Emily said...

It's funny how things turn out. I hope that your test went well.

mommaquincy said...

Where's the pictures of you new home? I guess that you are waiting for internet. I wonder if your washer and dryer or your internet will come first?