I really don't have anything worthwhile to post, so I'm just going to rant for a minute. I've been looking for a teaching job for a couple months. Can I just tell you how much I HATE job searching?! It isn't the searching so much as other things. For example, I HATE it when I go to an interview and it is obvious to me that some or all of my interviewers haven't read my resume. If I had classroom experience, you had better believe it would be on my resume. You'd think they wouldn't want to waste an hour interviewing me when they could rule me out in 30 seconds by reading the resume. The other thing that is beginning to get on my nerves is how insanely proud the public school system is. They completely and profoundly believe that public school teachers are several cuts above any other teachers. And more than that, that "teaching is the noblest profession". Give me a break. What about doctors? they save lives. What about the engineers who invented your car, phone, washing machine, etc.? Didn't they do you some good? Someone's got to make all the money that gets poured into the school system. No need to believe teachers have a monopoly on worthwhile professions.
They tell me a million times how difficult it is to manage a classroom and totally discount my experience tutoring and teaching swimming, dance, and gymnastics. I want to say " try managing 8 10-year-olds in a swimming pool whose parents are 10 yards away undermining any authority you would like to have, there's distractions from other classes, the open sky, the water, their own excitement. They don't have desks or chairs, and you have to watch them closely because they could die if you don't. Not to mention some of the kids are deathly afraid of the water, others drown themselves regularly. You can only help one child at a time and you have 30 min. for them to learn and master a new skill." I'm not saying it's harder to teach swimming lessons than manage a classroom. It's not. My point is that they are comparable and lots of the skills transfer. There's no need to sneer at me because I've never taught at public school before. I am absolutely sure I can handle it. I'm no foriegner to classrooms. I've spent 17 of the last 22 years in classrooms, and I know what they're like.
I feel much better now. Sorry for being bitter, it just started welling up.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Nonsense!
Posted by Jenny Kendall at 11:53 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
You have every right to be bitter. I can't tell you how many times I got the look when I told people that I teach dance. Like I've never had a real job or anything. I feel your pain sister!
So is the search over? Have you decided to settle on the PC KIDZ thing? I'll keep checking, so keep us posted!
Hooray! I love rant posts, not many people have the courage to post them, it's all peaches and cream to the worl. But I love it when people have the courage to be real. Sorry for your frustrations, I wish there was something I can do. Maybe working for the computer for preschoolers people will give your resume the boost it needs to impress the snooty public school system. Good luck!
Does this mean that no one is willing to hire you?
Post a Comment