I love books. Honestly, wouldn't life be limited without literacy? I found myself needing to take a vacation from reality for a few days and decided to finally read the Twilight series. It was a good choice because the novels are not only obsessive, but obsessing! Bella has an unhealthy obsession with Edward, but it definitely draws you in and lets you forget reality for a while. (which was my goal). My personal critique... just overall: Twilight itself is the best book in the series in that it has a good plot, resolution, length, etc. In my opinion, the next 2 1/2 books should have been one book and made as short as possible so as to minimize the teenage soap opera. The last half of the last book could be the start of an all new fantasy epic. It was my favorite part of the whole series. The thing that makes these books so different from typical fantasy is that Stephanie Meyer is good at writing about emotions, relationships, you know-- romance. She's not particularly talented at action which is really an essential part of a fantasy. Maybe that's why it is the way it is: 3/4 romance 1/4 fantasy. I liked it better than Harry Potter, but I don't actually think a whole lot of Harry Potter, so that might not be saying much. Not to be snobbish, J.K. Rowling just isn't my preferred writing style. (too many pages/words, not enough character development). Try Jonathan Stroud (Bartimeus Trilogy). That is an author I can say a lot of good things about! I'm sure glad they all write, though, I don't think I'd enjoy having to face the real world all the time. I need my reality escapes.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm glad that you got an escape. I love to read good books, but sometimes that best read is something that just is pure entertainment!
haha, I TOTALLY agree with you about Twilight. Lots of adults hate the books because of how 'teenagerish' they are... but to me it's just pure entertainment and it definitely got me away from reality for a while! ;)
By the way, I really love your new blog design. It's super CUTE!!!
love ya Jenny!
I agree. She's not the best writer but the world that she creates is addicting and sucks you in. I can't wait to get back to the states so I can buy all four and keep reading them. I liked book one and four. The other two are just reminder filler books to the whole plot.
Post a Comment