Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Phantom of the Opera


So one of the cool things about living in downtown Houston is that we're only a mile or so away from the Theatre District. Last week we went to Broadway Across America's Phantom of the Opera. It was really fun. The lady playing Carlotta is the longest running Carlotta ever (it was about her 5000th time playing the part) I think she finally got it right and now maybe she'll move on. Our Phantom held the record for longest running Raoul. The only reason I can come up with for him staying in the same musical after 3500 performances is that he was always secretly jealous of the Phantom part and is only now, as the Phantom, fulfilling his dream.

I recently read The Phantom of the Opera. It's a short read and, I thought, totally worth it. You get to know the Phantom better, he's much scarier when you know that he used to entertain the Persian King by killing people using his special cat-gut noose. The "hand at the level of your eyes" actually makes sense as a method of preventing a thrown noose from tightening. That and many other bits of the play make a lot more sense in the novel.

2 comments:

mommaquincy said...

I would love to be able to see more Broadway musicals! I really would love to see "Wicked". One of these years it will come to Utah and not sell out immediately

Ambs said...

HEY CUZ
Just so you know, this post just inspired my post about the Lion King...
Hopefully the Phantom of the Opera comes up here soon!! I'd love to go to that one too :)

love ya much!
A